[FoRK] GOP != Idiot: Republican chair of Senate Foreign Relations Committee "gets it"

Contempt for Meatheads jbone at place.org
Sun May 23 16:04:31 PDT 2004

GOP senator rips Bush on Iraq, terrorism

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Mark Pratt

May 23, 2004  |  MEDFORD, Mass. (AP) -- Republican Sen. Richard G.
Lugar on Saturday said the United States isn't doing enough to stave
off terrorism and criticized President Bush for failing to offer solid
plans for Iraq's future.

Lugar, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said the
nation must prevent terrorism from taking root around the world by
"repairing and building alliances," increasing trade, supporting
democracy, addressing regional conflicts and controlling weapons of
mass destruction.

Unless the country commits itself to such measures, "we are likely to
experience acts of catastrophic terrorism that would undermine our
economy, damage our society and kill hundreds of thousands, if not
millions, of people," the Indiana senator said during an appearance at
the Fletcher School at Tufts University.

Lugar said military might alone isn't enough to eradicate terrorism.

"To win the war against terrorism, the United States must assign U.S.
economic and diplomatic capabilities the same strategic priority that
we assign to military capabilities," he said.

He later added, "Military action is necessary to defeat serious and
immediate threats to our national security. But the war on terrorism
will not be won through attrition _ particularly since military action
will often breed more terrorists and more resentment of the United
States."

Lugar, who was awarded the Dean's Medal for distinguished service in
international affairs, said it's still unclear how much control the
Iraqi people will have over their nation's security when power is
transferred to them June 30.

"I am very hopeful that the president and his administration will
articulate precisely what is going to happen as much as they can, day
by day, as opposed to a generalization," he said.

It's not the first time that Lugar has criticized Bush, a fellow
Republican. In 2003, Lugar and Sen. Joseph Biden, the committee's top
Democrat, warned that the Bush administration had not given enough
consideration to what would happen in Iraq after the fighting ended.

Also Saturday, Lugar blamed the Bush and Clinton administrations for
not adequately funding the foreign affairs budget, noting that the
military's budget is more than 13 times what the nation spends for
diplomacy.