[FoRK] lies, damn lies, statistics

0 zero at rawbw.com
Mon May 24 00:06:50 PDT 2004

http://www.crookedtimber.org/archives/001899.html

May 23, 2004
Sweating the small stuff
Posted by Ted

Last year, I fell off my bike, and had to have my arm in a sling for a
couple of days. I don’t care, even a little bit, that Bush had a spill.
It happens.

But if the White House is going to come out and blame the fall on “what
the White House described as soil loosened by recent rainfall”… (Here’s
the quote: “It’s been raining a lot. The topsoil was loose.”)

Well, I can check that. There hasn’t been any rain in Crawford all
week. The last day with more than an inch of precipitation was May 1.

Again, not a big deal, but why would they say that? And do you share my
suspicion that Caren Bohan, who wrote the Reuters report from Crawford,
knows perfectly well that there wasn’t any rain?

UPDATE: Kos has a similar post, with a different data set but the same
conclusion.
Posted on May 23, 2004 09:33 PM UTC