[FoRK] Proof Of Riemann Hypothesis?

Contempt for Meatheads jbone at place.org
Wed Jun 9 20:36:50 PDT 2004

Well, perhaps if this pans out:

Mathemetician Claims Proof Of Riemann Hypothesis
Science
The Almighty Buck
News
Posted by timothy on Wednesday June 09, @07:00PM
from the peer-review-pending dept.
TheSync points to this press release about a Purdue University
mathematician, Louis de Branges de Bourcia, who claims to have "proven
the Riemann hypothesis, considered to be the greatest unsolved problem
in mathematics. It states that all non-trivial zeros of the zeta
function lie on the line 1/2 + it as t ranges over the real numbers.
You can read his proof here. The Clay Mathematics Institute offers a $1
million prize to the first prover."

...we can all stop losing sleep about this:

	http://www.singinst.org/CFAI/info/
glossary.html#gloss_riemann_hypothesis_catastrophe

Riemann Hypothesis Catastrophe:  Defined in 3.2: Generic goal systems.
     A "failure of Friendliness" scenario in which an AI asked to solve
the Riemann Hypothesis turns all the matter in the solar system into
computronium, exterminating humanity along the way.  (As I recall, I
first heard this version - with a slightly different phrasing - from
Marvin Minsky.)  In variant forms, a subclass of the subgoal stomp
error, the Devil's Contract problem (both diabolic and golemic), and
the "emergent pressures" scenario a la "The Two Faces of Tomorrow" (see
3.2.7: Emergent phenomena in generic goal systems).