[FoRK] Open-Source Communities and ERP-Software?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Jun 14 10:23:19 PDT 2004

This would be my charter for an OpenSource ERP+ project:

Make ERP functionality more widely usable.
Handle not only accounting, payroll, invoicing, estimates, payables,
receivables, etc., but also credit card billing, banking, sales
ticklers, scheduling, tracking important tax, finance, holiday, and
other dates and activities, balance statements, investment, planning,
budgeting, comparisions to various similar budgets, etc.

Make it usable by non-profits (groups that can often use Open Source and
other donationware easily), educational institutions, clubs, charities,
standards groups, and even individuals and professionals.

The basic concepts are the same, the tracking methods can be similar,
but tuning and built-in "chart of accounts", standard interfaces, and
other similar things need to be pooled and shared.

For instance, I could use something that tracks books in my personal
library, software, warranties and support contracts (when are they
expiring, etc.), complex budget estimation, tax events, relationship
tracking and tickling (when has it been too long since I've talked to a
client or associate), etc.

Make it easy for accountants/tax preparers to understand, use, and
interact with the data.

Add document capture and tracking integrated with transaction association.

Get off of Oracle.  Accounting has simple database needs, MySQL is more
than enough.

Consider XML-based document orientation to the main transactions, like
an invoice or quote, which allows easy customization but also allows for
PKI-based signing and encryption.

In an accounting system, you should never update records except for
cached totals, you should always write new records and roll them up or
filter for the newest in later operations.  Don't force closeouts of
detail every month and other obsolete accounting methods.

sdw