[FoRK] Open-Source Communities and ERP-Software?

Meltsner, Kenneth Kenneth.Meltsner at ca.com
Mon Jun 14 15:55:45 PDT 2004

Postgres is pretty cool, and has benefited from having "many eyes" looking at it.  And it's amenable to variations, like the continuous data stream query modifications from the Telegraph project.

http://telegraph.cs.berkeley.edu/telegraphcq/v0.2/

Invariably, someone will benchmark Ingres 3 against the next Postgres version;  with any luck, they'll actually understand databases and not produce yet another specious comparison.  It'd be especially cool if they compare multi-server configurations.

The interesting issue (for me) is whether the Ingres open-source project will be friendly to such variants.  The Common Public License-variant implies otherwise, but I know nothing either way.  My guess is that this is all uncharted territory for CA's management, and customer demand will determine what we do.

I suspect the real impact of open source DBs (right now) is on Microsoft's SQL  Server, not Oracle.   A lot of SQL Server projects are overgrown Access databases, which hints that a Access/MySQL->Postgres migration toolkit might be a really good idea.

Oracle, in turn, considers DB2 and SS to be its competitors.  Blindness to challenges from the low-end (they don't take SS seriously, I suspect, and view it as a competitor only on price, not features) will certainly keep Postgres under its radar for a while longer.   Low-end blindness is a common symptom of expensive products with direct sales forces, and isn't easily cured.