[FoRK] Open-Source Communities and ERP-Software?

J.Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Tue Jun 15 22:36:06 PDT 2004

On Jun 15, 2004, at 10:16 AM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>  I like PostgreSQL in principle because it is versioning based which I
> firmly believe is the correct solution, but MySQL is just so darned
> easy to do everything with.  Why is it, for instance, that other
> databases need expensive add-on tools to do a complete dump of
> structure and data of a database and reload it at any point?

What do you mean by "complete dump of structure and data"?  How is this
standard from a bog standard export/dump?  As far as I know, all
databases come with a standard way to turn some or all of the data and
structure into an equivalent set of SQL commands.  This isn't an
expensive add-on, this a standard tool.  Am I misunderstanding what you
mean?

There are expensive add-on tools that can do this too, but the ability
to selectively import and export structure and data SQL isn't what you
are paying for.

j. andrew rogers