[FoRK] Open-Source Communities and ERP-Software?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Jun 16 06:24:27 PDT 2004

It's possible, and preferrable, that all databases be able to do a full
dump to SQL commands so that a complete installation in all details
could be created from it.  Being able to export/import does not seem to
be common knowledge among some DBAs I know.  I don't think that it used
to be standard.  I first noticed and used it with MySQL.  I was using
Sybase for a long time after and before Oracle, MS SQL , and DB2
projects, so it's possible I was just looking at the wrong databases at
the time.

I dabble in databases, sometimes deeply, but track many other things
more than all capabilities of database server software.

I found one reference for Oracle, although it looks like the database
server must be offline to run.  It would be nice to have a concise
reference for export/dump and loading options available.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/mysqldump.html
I see that the capabilities have grown nicely to include XML dump and
tuning of the SQL output compatible with these databases:
|mysql323|, |mysql40|, |postgresql|, |oracle|, |mssql|, |db2|, |sapdb

Here's a shareware tool to convert Access to MySQL SQL statements if you
get stuck with that:
http://www.sofotex.com/MyDbDump(Access-MYSQL-DUMP)-download_L19366.html

sdw