[FoRK] Why web-based mail rules (was: Gmail in the News)

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Tue Jun 22 18:19:26 PDT 2004

On Jun 21, 2004, at 9:33 PM, Udhay Shankar N wrote:

> Adam L Beberg wrote: [ on 05:58 AM 6/22/2004 ]
>
>>> (2) Universal access. I can retrieve my email, including
>>> historical email, from any web-connected machine.
>>
>> Because SSH is sooooooooooo hard right?
>
> I got one word for you - firewalls.
>
> I'm currently facing this at work. The firewall allows outbound access
> to only ports 80 and 443. My tunneling options are limited (unless
> some generous soul offers me some options) by the fact that all the
> shell accounts I have are on boxes that are also webservers, so I
> can't make sshd listen on those ports. :(

Well for me and anyone on DSL/Cable, if you have that, then you have
one of those little boxes that does fort forwarding, so "outside" ports
can be whatever ya want and point to ssh inside.

In your case, find a proxy, a quick goggling should yield you 3E5 or
so. Or maybe you just have the one sysadmin on the planet that is doing
his job, in which case you're screwed ;)

- Adam L. Beberg - beberg at mithral.com
   http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/