[FoRK] NYTimes.com Article: Sex May Be Happiness, but Wealth Isn' t Sexiness

Justin Mason jm at jmason.org
Sun Jul 11 20:25:49 PDT 2004

khare at alumni.caltech.edu writes:
> The authors say their study is first rigorous econometric
> analysis on the topic, and it that the received wisdom may
> require some revision. As the paper states: "Money does
> seem to seem to buy greater happiness. But it does not buy
> more sex."

Happiness!  This has been getting a lot of research lately, it seems. See
also "subjective well-being"... here's a few good bits:

  http://www.newscientist.com/opinion/opinterview.jsp?id=ns23045

  Q: Does it help to be well-off?
  A: Every study that's ever been done on this has always found that
  happiness increases with income, but in the West the effect is always a
  small one. Elsewhere, among slum dwellers in India, for example, the
  effect is much more substantial. There's quite a difference between
  making $1 and $5 a day--for one thing, it dictates whether you get to
  eat that day. In the US, too, it's much more likely that a poor person
  will be unhappy. We studied people from the Forbes list who were worth
  more than $100 million. Most were slightly happier than the average
  American.

And this one is a *fantastic* article, from New Scientist in October
last year:

  http://www.biopsychiatry.com/happiness/happycountry.html

  In the US, satisfaction comes from personal success, self-expression,
  pride, a high sense of self-esteem and a distinct sense of self. In
  Japan, on the other hand, it comes from fulfilling the expectations of
  your family, meeting your social responsibilities, self-discipline,
  cooperation and friendliness. So while in the US it is perfectly
  appropriate to pursue your own happiness, in Japan you are more likely
  to find happiness by not directly pursuing it. .....

  There is plenty more about national happiness levels that has
  researchers scratching their heads. One of the most significant
  observations is that in industrialised nations, average happiness has
  remained virtually static since the second world war, despite a
  considerable rise in average income . The exception is Denmark, where
  people have become more satisfied with life over the past 30 years - no
  one is quite sure why.

  A growing number of researchers are putting the static trend down to
  consumerism. Survey after survey has shown that the desire for material
  goods, which has increased hand in hand with average income, is a
  "happiness suppressant".

  One study, by Tim Kasser at Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois, found
  that young adults who focus on money, image and fame tend to be more
  depressed, have less enthusiasm for life and suffer more physical
  symptoms such as headaches and sore throats than others (The High Price
  of Materialism, MIT Press, 2002). Kasser believes that people tend to
  embrace material values when they are feeling insecure (retail therapy,
  anyone?). "Advertisements have become more sophisticated," says Kasser.
  "They try to tie their message to people's psychological needs. But it
  is a false link. It is toxic."

Also -- beautiful people make the world unhappier:

  http://www.unifr.ch/econophysics/articoli/dtelegraph.html

- --j.