[FoRK] Forbes XLR Review

Rohit Khare rohit at ics.uci.edu
Mon Jul 12 11:50:20 PDT 2004

Test Drives
2004 Cadillac XLR
Charles Dubow

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 0707test1_420x280.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 27625 bytes
Desc: not available
-------------- next part --------------

  HIGHS: Great looks; world-class initial quality.
LOWS: Sluggish ride; inferior interior; high sticker price; inadequate
cargo area.

Overview
  It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon. We were returning to New York
from a wedding in Philadelphia and would have loved to put the top down
on the Cadillac XLR we were driving but, unless we wanted to leave our
suitcases behind, the roof was staying up.

  The reason was that when the hard top roof is stowed, there's barely
enough room in the trunk for a tennis racquet and a can of balls, let
alone a set of golf clubs.

  These days many new luxury convertibles such as Mercedes-Benz's SL and
SLK models, and the Lexus SC430, come with retractable hard tops. The
beauty of this feature is that they offer one-touch automatic raising
and lowering, allowing drivers to convert their roadsters from a coupe
to a sleek, aerodynamic convertible and back again in a matter of
seconds. No more wrestling with straps and clasps at the first sign of
rain. No more safety concerns. No more fears that a thief with a box
cutter can slice through your ragtop and waltz off with your car
stereo, or the car itself.

  However, there are significant drawbacks to these retractable roofs.
While the technology and engineering are impressive, as mentioned
above, when the roof is down it has to go somewhere, and that somewhere
is the trunk. Fortunately, this means that the lines of the car are
uninterrupted by the unsightly lines of a folded top. Unfortunately, it
also means that unless you plan on using the car only on sunny days
when you aren't planning on carrying anything in the trunk, you won't
get to use it very often as a convertible.

  Moreover, not only do these slick retractable roofs add considerable
weight to the car, they also add on extra expense as well.

  Clearly, these snags are not specific to the XLR but for some reason
it bothers us more. Here's why: With a MSRP of $75,385, the XLR is far
and away the most expensive car Cadillac makes. (The new Escalade
Platinum ESV edition has a MSRP of $70,155.) Since Caddy introduced the
redesigned Escalade in 2001, total sales for the division have risen a
whopping 25.6%. This is a real success story, made even sweeter by the
fact that Cadillac has had so many misfires over the years while
attempting to regain its elite status in the automotive world.

  The XLR is part of General Motors'  (nyse:  GM -  news  -  people  )
successful--so far--strategy to reenergize the Cadillac brand.
According to Cadillac, the Escalade is the best selling large luxury
SUV brand on the market today and many of its other new models--such as
the SRX and STS--reflect the division's bold new thinking. As such, the
XLR is Caddy's attempt to break into the rarefied heights currently
occupied by German, Japanese and English luxury auto makers who are not
shy about charging north of $60,000 for their products.

  The competition in the XLR's category and price range is daunting,
however--especially since Cadillac is still better known for building
roomy luxury cars and SUVs than performance machines. Among the cars
that potential buyers might also consider are, in addition to the
Mercedes models and Lexus mentioned above, the Jaguar XK series
convertibles, the Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet and, for a lot more,
the forthcoming Aston Martin DB9 Vantage Volante.

  Seen in this light, at $76,000 the XLR may even seem like a pretty
good deal stacked up next to, say, a $155,000 Aston Martin. The
question is: Does the XLR belong in this league?