[FoRK] Meta-deceit: Fifty-nine Deceits in Fahrenheit 911

Mark Day markday at cisco.com
Tue Jul 13 12:44:22 PDT 2004

> No doubt about it:  Moore's movie is flawed, it's propaganda,
> it plays
> fast and loose with its own subject matter.  But the "59 deceits"
> listed in this article are, by and large, not deceit at all under any
> reasonable definition of "deceit."

I agree.  I think "deceit 9" (Bush reading in the classroom on Sept. 11) is
particularly weak.  I found it very disturbing to watch Bush doing basically
nothing.  Moore makes a concession to narrative by not playing out the
segment in its entirety in strict real-time, which I think is a more
important "deceit" that works to Bush's advantage.  Even with the time-lapse
presentation that's used, the segment is agonizingly long.

And even if we take at face value the claim that this was done so as not to
disturb the classroom, doesn't that suggest poor judgement?  "Mr. President,
the country is under attack."  "OK, but let's not do anything right away in
case it upsets these children."

That said, most of the rest of the movie is so full of selective editing and
cheap shots that Moore really undercuts himself.

--Mark