[FoRK] Breakthrogh in HDTV projector pricing

Dave Long dl at silcom.com
Mon Jul 19 10:06:15 PDT 2004

>                        The screen actually looks black until you shine
> the projector light onto it - but it may only work perfectly with Sony
> projectors. The details aren't clear yet, but I certainly would wait a
> few more months before jumping in.

Unless they're playing polarization games,
or somehow have an active screen, it's not
easy to believe there'd be much difference
between brands of projector.

Apparently, glass microspheres are useful
not only for reflective road markings and
signage, but also provide enough contrast
to shoot front instead of rear-projection
filmed composites, so it makes sense that
they'd work in an HDTV application, too.

I suppose a 3M safety vest and a projector
in a room with some light spill would give
a quick test.  Bonus points to anyone who
waits for twilight to try out home-drivein
technology on their local freeway signage.

-Dave