[FoRK] Who would bin Laden vote for?

Owen Byrne owen at permafrost.net
Tue Jul 20 13:29:24 PDT 2004

Russell Turpin wrote:

> Owen Byrne:
>
>> The problem now, IMO, is that all those Republicans
>> are unwilling to admit they have been duped. They
>> would rather continue to believe the lies, at least until something
>> forces them to admit their own stupidity (and complicity), which a
>> terrorist attack might do, much as it did in Spain.
>

> In my opinion, this last is completely wrong. The US
> isn't Spain. If there is a significant terrorist attack on
> US soil, it will cause an unthinking reaction of "gathering
> around the President." It will mobilize the conservatives
> to vote for Bush, and it will swing undecideds in that
> direction. Yeah, I know: that makes no sense. But
> that's how I think the psychology would work. The
> US is not Spain.

I said "might."  and "something"  Perhaps not a terrorist attack. But if
not that, then what? - you would think blatent evidence of torture would
 be enough, but it appears not. Children's wing at Abu Graibh? Forced
sodomy? Those are "frat-boy hijinks"

History would suggest (Napoleon, Hitler, Pol Pot, Tojo et al) that the
only way out (for the rest of the world) is a war, and the most
favorable result is
complete destruction of the nation in question. So a dirty bomb in DC
would be a great start.

Owen