[FoRK] aviating Syrian musicians (fwd)

Justin Mason jm at jmason.org
Wed Jul 21 10:22:12 PDT 2004

A bit late, but this is well worth a read -- not as any kind of
intelligent bits, but as an example of insane paranoia and racist
presupposition.  It's one woman's account of a flight where 14
muslim guys were on board, using the lavatory, talking to each
other, and generally doing Terrorist Stuff like that.

<http://www.womenswallstreet.com/WWS/article_landing.aspx?titleid=1&articleid=711>

(note the best bit -- quoting Ann Coulter.)

There's some hilarious follow-up comments at
<http://michellemalkin.com/archives/000207.htm> -- samples:

  'if I fly this year, and I see a bunch of Arab men about to board the
  same plane, I AM NOT GETTING ON AND I WILL HAPPILY HAVE A SHOUTING MATCH
  WITH YOU [the TSA, that is] ABOUT IT IN FRONT OF ALL THE OTHER
  PASSENGERS'

  'You can be sure of this, if I am on an aircraft and if I see more than
  one Middle Easterner go to the head, then I will "congregate" right
  there and check out the can.'

  'Were I to view the described activities, and were I to note that those
  around myself shared equal concern about "the band", you can bet your
  bottom dollar that I would NEVER have sat idly by, comforting my wife
  with soothing words. As others here have stated, I would have
  interfered, big time. Yaba, I would'a got in between 'em, would'a
  jostled 'em. I probably would have loudly started a conversation about
  how much I respect Todd Beemer. I would have got in yellowshirts face,
  asking him was he having a good trip, do you have any kids, wanna see
  photos of my kids? If foreign nationals are allowed to stand and roam,
  damn straight old painter Dave gonna do some roaming of his own.'

  'So, I just showed my wife my post, she said, "Damn straight, Boy" Donna
  said, "Dude, while you went aft, I'd go forward". She is a georgeous
  5ft11 beautifal blonde, and I guarentee she would'a got in the face of
  Mr. Business suit in 1st class, seat 2a. Her confidence is high, and so
  are her skills at rattling men's cages. She aggreed that the best
  strategy would have been to start a planewide discussion of the heroism
  of Tod Beemer.'

Thankfully, Salon's 'Ask The Pilot' column introduces a bit more
sense...

<http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2004/07/21/askthepilot95/print.html>

  'Late last summer I boarded a nonstop flight from Dubai, United Arab
  Emirates, to Newark, N.J. After taking my seat, I noticed that well over
  a hundred of my fellow passengers looked to be Muslims! Yes, that's the
  same faith adhered to by those dastardly perpetrators who knocked down
  our Trade Center and demolished part of the Pentagon. Not only that, but
  our aircraft, a Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777, was registered and
  maintained by a company headquartered in a predominantly Muslim nation!
  What if the cargo holds had been stuffed full of anthrax or TNT by
  unscrupulous terrorists back in Kuala Lumpur!

  Several passengers wore conservative Islamic dress -- men in white
  dishdashas; women concealed in full black burqa. Our plane contained a
  Muslim prayer enclave (for possible use by terrorists preparing for the
  throes of martydrom), and the seatback video displayed a graphic of the
  qibla, showing real-time distance and heading to Mecca. En route toward
  New York, dozens of Muslim passengers were seen socializing and using
  the lavatories, in some cases blatantly ignoring the illuminated
  seat-belt sign!

  To my relief and utter astonishment, we landed safely (and on time).'

- --j.