[FoRK] Breakthrogh in HDTV projector pricing

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Wed Jul 21 14:49:34 PDT 2004

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:33:40 +0200, "Eugen Leitl" <eugen at leitl.org>
said:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 05:28:05AM +0800, James Tauber wrote:
>
> > As I discovered recently, adding more primaries doesn't buy you more
> > colours because the parts of the chromaticity diagram outside a
> > well-chosen triangle (that you could get to with a five-primary
> > pentagon, for example) are indistinguishable to the human eye.
>
> How abut primate tetrachromate mutants, though?

They'd agree with us that the sky is blue but they'd be pissed off when
their photos come out a completely different shade and wonder why our
TVs made things look so funny.

> > Interestingly, what appears to us as the same colour would appear
> > different to animals with different number of cones, however. Chickens
> > would need 12 primary colours, for example.
>
> Be careful whom you call chicken, human... we sort single photons by the
> wavelenght bucket, spatially. Phear us.

But even the chickens among us couldn't tell a pure spectral colour from
a carefully chosen bilinear combination of colours.

James
--
  James Tauber               http://jtauber.com/
  journeyman of some    http://jtauber.com/blog/