[FoRK] clone 2

Lucas Gonze lgonze at panix.com
Fri Jul 23 10:14:05 PDT 2004

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Justin Mason wrote:
> Nice project BTW!

:)

Thanks!

> But just wondering -- what does keeping the "real data" to yourself
> gain?   I would be under the impression that letting the data be
> downloaded in a big chunk of export XML, would just open up the
> field for more people to implement cool hacks and data-mining
> for free.  Let the LazyWeb do it!

Keeping the real data to myself means that the publically available data
dump is anonymized -- URLs and user IDs are only available as MD5s, or by
arrangement with me.

That said, there's a powerful API (at webjay.org/api/help), an
unrestricted HTML->playlist gateway (webjay.org/playthispage), six
different flavors of playlist output, a published but anonymized full
dataset, and the option to get unrestricted access to the live data.

To some degree I've lost faith in the LazyWeb.  I really don't understand
why nobody else did hypertext playlists before -- it seems like an
internet-scale brain fart.  And I have a pretty clear picture of the next
wave that I don't see anybody else working on, so I have to assume the
LazyWeb isn't going there.

- Lucas