[FoRK] clone 2

Lucas Gonze lgonze at panix.com
Fri Jul 23 11:55:38 PDT 2004

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, tom poe wrote:
> But, if I may, does the above mean that when SONG STORM
> gathers speed, and reaches a threshold where there's significant content
> in one or more genres, we can do the webjay playthispage for each genre?

Absolutely, it would be very easy.  The trivial way is to give each genre
a web page with a unique URL, then pass the URL to
webjay.org/playthispage?url=[URL].  For example, take some blog software
and compose an entry for each genre, with links to the songs in that genre
in the entry.  If you wanted to get really ambitious about it, you could
write a CGI script using the perl provided with the API.

> Right now, we just have the webjay playthispage for the 50 plus
> playlists.  Eventually, we want to convince the artists who submit their
> playlists to CC-license prior to listing, and then we can break out
> those from the others.  Same goes for the listeners and DJs who submit
> entries.  That would let us specify playlists suitable for tools like
> gnomoradio and radioaid.com.  You know, keeping with the "real"
> alternative music infrastructure.  No more confused artists trying to
> decide if iTunes and the RIAA way is the only way. . . . GO WEBJAY WAY!!

:)

There's a lot of stuff you can do with CC-licensed releases that you can't
do otherwise.  For example, make it easy to remix them, mirror them, allow
users to clean up metadata, etc.  If I were you I'd lead with those
features rather than with the requirement to CC license.

- Lucas