[FoRK] Downloading services recommendation

Owen Byrne owen at permafrost.net
Sat Jul 31 16:34:58 PDT 2004

Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> My daughter want's to download songs for a portable MP3 player or CDRs.
> I decided to check out what commercial services are available and I
> keep finding $1-2/mo. services that seem questionable, but have
> language that insists that they are legal.  Any opinions?
>
> Many, like the first one, also offter movie, software, game, books,
> image, and even newsgroup access included.
>
> On my first google:
> https://secure.downloads-unlimited.com/?source=google&kw=musicdownloadservices
>
> http://www.mymusicinc.com/home.htm
> http://www.imusicpro.com/secure.aspx
> http://www.easymusicdownload.com/index.asp?cart=1

All of those look like they're just front ends to various p2p networks
and/or newsgroups - they seem to be
selling stuff you can get for free - perhaps it is worth something to
avoid spyware. .
This one was mentioned somewhere a while back - I tried it out - and it
works pretty well - it is legal (in Russia)
and pays something (not very much obviously) to artists.

http://allofmp3.com
Owen