[FoRK] great hackers

Dave Long dl at silcom.com
Sat Jul 31 18:05:03 PDT 2004

>>They generally feel that they're stupid and lazy, that
>>their brain only works properly one day out of ten ...

Caching allows memories which are really
only good for one cycle in ten to have a
much lower effective latency.

Obviously, the great hacker would be well
served to come up with some bit of social
engineering that serves the same purpose;
AN Whitehead recommends civilization.

> Civilisation advances by extending the number of important operations
> which we can perform without thinking about them.  Operations of
> thought are like cavalry charges in a battle - they are strictly
> limited in number, they require fresh horses, and must only be made
> at decisive moments.

Bypass sufaces, hit gaps.

When one articulates a problem properly,
many surface aspects can be handled with
only half a brain, while the gaps can be
exploited, at the gallop, with the fresh
brainpower of that tenth day.

-Dave

:: :: ::

Among the great hackers was General Lee's
grey, for he went so easily on hacks that
he went by the name of Traveller.