[FoRK] great hackers

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 31 18:32:26 PDT 2004

Gavin Thomas Nicol:
>As I've said before, I have no incentive to learn Python... the cost of
>learning the language and
>the libraries don't have an obvious enough payback
>to make it worth my while. ..

I can't argue with "no incentive," since zero is
pretty absolute, but I will point out that Python
has a pretty low learning curve, significantly
less than, a third generation language like C. A
proficient programmer should feel comfortable
in Python in a day or two.

Well, maybe I will argue with "no incentive."
I think just about every software hack these
days should know at least one of the dynamic
declaration, interpreted languages like Python
or Perl. These are much more useful than Java
for quick glue. In my mind, the significant
difference between Python and Perl is that
the latter is "write only." I've modified enough
Perl programs that others have written ...
well, let's just leave it at "enough."