[FoRK] Fwd: STRATEGY & INSIGHT: Cybertourists in Boston

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) fork at ianbell.com
Mon Aug 2 08:43:26 PDT 2004

I don't think that there was much of an expectation by anybody that
they'd be breaking news... but offering unique insights into the
goings-on would be a start, I suppose.

The lesson is that blogging is just a tool, and watching a political
convention from the cheap seats at Fleet Center is no different (in
fact, it's probably worse) than watching it on CSPAN or CNN.  Clearly,
the bloggers were allowed into the forum, but were then corralled into
the distant back rows -- they are sitting amongst the proles in the
gallery watching the great pantomime that is a Merkin political
convention.  Are we expecting Deep Throat -esque revelations here?  I
doubt very much that any of them had the credentials to rub shoulders
with anyone short of the lineup to the bathroom, and really how much
in-depth insight can one glean from either locale?  Besides, I think
the Clintons get their own special bathroom at these things..

For better and for worse, Blogging is not journalism.  It is (quite
literally, in this case) a great medium for taking pot shots from the
cheap seats, and that isn't required to be particularly timely.

-Ian.