[FoRK] Keeping it under wraps till November 3.

Owen Byrne owen at permafrost.net
Tue Aug 3 00:03:11 PDT 2004

> I am saying that as a class, the children who were in the Baath
> orphanages are now better off.
>
> Of course if any of that class were subsequently imprisoned, and then
> became victims of specific abuses, those exact children are probably
> worse off. But then again, there was testimony of child rape, torture,
> and maiming/murder under the Baath regime, in orphanages and schools.
> So even assuming the worst, it could be a wash. I don't know.
>
> Do you really think the functionaries of a totalitarian regime were
> *more* moral, restrained, and ultimately accountable, on average, than
> wayward US soldiers?

And this is where I disagree. In my personal opinion, Iraq is going to
end up exactly the way it was
before 15 years of US sanctions and the starvation that came from it -
with a US installed strongman
running things (and running his actions by his keepers in the the
whitehouse). So what exactly was the
point - and who's responsible - Saddam - or the house of Bush? The
pentagon will run things in Iraq
just like they did when Saddam gassed his own people.

> Is it simply the fact that now there are digital pictures that makes you
> feel the Baath oppressio was prefrable? Out of sight, out of mind?
>
> Visceral revulsion isn't a policy.

Identifying bullshit is. I realized tonight thinking about this - it
sounds stupid - but I used to like and
respect Americans. Actually believed in all that "freedom and democracy"
crap. Your nation  no
longer stands for that - either within your borders or beyond - and
thats a loss. Democracy in the rest of
the world - Europe, Canada? Its a joke. But its now all we have.

Owen