[FoRK] Dean gets its right

Bill Stoddard bill at wstoddard.com
Tue Aug 3 17:29:41 PDT 2004

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) wrote:

> On 3-Aug-04, at 1:43 PM, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>
>> Owen, I am not sure I see your point. Trump card? How is announcing a
>> terror thread based, in part, on 3 or 4 year old information in -any-
>> way "good" for the bush administration?  What would Dean say if bushco
>> sat on the information? Or announced it but did not 'act' on the
>> information (by raising the terror threat level) and subsequently one
>> of the institutions was blown up with a truck bomb?  This is a
>> complete no win situation for bushco (was in the beginning and is now)
>> and Dean is trying to spin it as some sort of sneaky assed bushco
>> conspiricy. The guy needs to get a life and lay off the crack pipe.
>

> The attached article contains a number of the key facets to the debate.
>  One interesting snippet:
>
> "The power of the presidency is unprecedented in its ability to command
> attention and allow the commander in chief to be on the offense every
> day," said Scott Reed, who managed Bob Dole's campaign in 1996 against
> incumbent President Bill Clinton. "The events of the last 24 hours
> remind voters that they have a commander in chief, and it probably
> raises more questions about changing horses in midstream."
>
> -Ian.

I don't deny the possibility of the bush administration exploiting the terror issue in unethical ways for
political gain but I honestly don't see -this- issue as an exploit, unethical or otherwise. I wish Dean would
have won the nomination. He has integrity that I don't see in Kerry but comments like this seriously undermine
his credibility and casts doubt on his judgement.

Bill