[FoRK] Fwd: [lbo-talk] Childhood Beatings

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Tue Aug 3 20:39:57 PDT 2004

For what it is worth.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[lbo-talk] Childhood Beatings
Date: 	Tue, 03 Aug 2004 20:24:33 -0700
From: 	R <rhisiart at charter.net>
To: 	lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org

*2:47am* (UK)
Schwarzenegger Says He Suffered Childhood Beatings
http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3291900

/By Mark Sage, PA News, in New York/

Action hero turned politician Arnold Schwarzenegger has told how he
suffered what “would now be called child abuse” at the hands of his father.

In a candid interview the Terminator star said he was beaten by his
father Gustav – a wartime Nazi party official – to make him “conform”.

But he rebelled against the beatings and dreamed of escaping his home to
become rich and famous.

He made a name for himself as a body builder after he arrived in America
at the age of 21. After a career in acting he is now the Governor of
California.

Describing his upbringing to Fortune magazine, Schwarzenegger said: “My
hair was pulled. I was hit with belts. So was the kid next door, and so
was the kid next door.

“It was just the way it was. Many of the children I’ve seen were broken
by their parents, which was the German-Austrian mentality.

“Break the will. They didn’t want to create an individual. It was all
about conforming.” But he went on: “I was one who did not conform and
whose will could not be broken.

“Therefore I became a rebel. Every time I got hit, and every time
someone said, ’you can’t do this,’ I said, ’this is not going to be for
much longer, because I’m going to move out of here. I want to be rich. I
want to be somebody’.”

Republican Schwarzenegger was elected as Governor of California – the
world’s fifth largest economy – at the end of the last year when
Californians, sick of economic mismanagement, ousted Gray Davis.