[FoRK] Re: I wouldn't have bet on this... TiVO gets nod.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Aug 4 23:53:39 PDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 07:50:15PM -0700, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:

> The ruling asks for CALEA for any VoIP service which substantially
> replaces a primary line service.  Exceptions would include services

You can buy Skype2POTS services nowadays. Sure, that last leg is tappable, in
principle. Things do look bleak for POTS longterm, especially once xDSL access is
unbundled from phone services.

> like Skype and FWD.  Though this is a dangerous releasing of the genie
> from the bottle, I suppose.

Watch out when somebody reverse engineers the protocol, and makes directory
lookup truly P2P, with onion routing. Sure, you can still watch the traffic
(no way to onionize that without making latency worse than it is already),
and see who called whom when, but that's a much higher resource threshold,
and not a rich source of information.

Traffic analysis will become even harder when everybody speaks opportunistic IPsec.

Sigint folks Are Not Amused.