[FoRK] [openmindandcodenews] Bruce Springsteen says....

Rob van Kranenburg kranenbu at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 5 13:09:32 PDT 2004

ah one, two, three, four!

From: "HAH" <GaiaHemp at earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:31:17 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Subject: [openmindandcodenews] Bruce Springsteen says....

Chords for Change
By BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
NEW YORK TIMES, August 5, 2004
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/05/opinion/05bruce.html>The New York
Times > Opinion > Op-Ed Contributor: Chords for Change

A nation's artists and musicians have a particular place in its
social and political life. Over the years I've tried to think long
and hard about what it means to be American: about the distinctive
identity and position we have in the world, and how that position is
best carried. I've tried to write songs that speak to our pride and
criticize our failures.

These questions are at the heart of this election: who we are, what
we stand for, why we fight. Personally, for the last 25 years I have
always stayed one step away from partisan politics. Instead, I have
been partisan about a set of ideals: economic justice, civil rights,
a humane foreign policy, freedom and a decent life for all of o! ur
citizens. This year, however, for many of us the stakes have risen
too high to sit this election out.

Through my work, I've always tried to ask hard questions. Why is it
that the wealthiest nation in the world finds it so hard to keep its
promise and faith with its weakest citizens? Why do we continue to
find it so difficult to see beyond the veil of race? How do we
conduct ourselves during difficult times without killing the things
we hold dear? Why does the fulfillment of our promise as a people
always seem to be just within grasp yet forever out of reach?

I don't think John Kerry and John Edwards have all the answers. I do
believe they are sincerely interested in asking the right questions
and working their way toward honest solutions. They understand that
we need an administration that places a priority on fairness,
curiosity, openness, humility, concern for all America's citizens,
courage and faith.

People have different notions of these valu! es, and they live them
out in different ways. I've tried to sing about some of them in my
songs. But I have my own ideas about what they mean, too. That is why
I plan to join with many fellow artists, including the Dave Matthews
Band, Pearl Jam, R.E.M., the Dixie Chicks, Jurassic 5, James Taylor
and Jackson Browne, in touring the country this October. We will be
performing under the umbrella of a new group called Vote for Change.
Our goal is to change the direction of the government and change the
current administration come November.

Like many others, in the aftermath of 9/11, I felt the country's
unity. I don't remember anything quite like it. I supported the
decision to enter Afghanistan and I hoped that the seriousness of the
times would bring forth strength, humility and wisdom in our leaders.
Instead, we dived headlong into an unnecessary war in Iraq, offering
up the lives of our young men and women under circumstances that are
now discredited. We ran record deficits, while simultaneously cutting
and squeezing services like after! school programs. We granted tax
cuts to the richest 1 percent (corporate bigwigs, well-to-do guitar
players), increasing the division of wealth that threatens to destroy
our social contract with one another and render mute the promise of
"one nation indivisible."

It is through the truthful exercising of the best of human qualities
- respect for others, honesty about ourselves, faith in our ideals -
that we come to life in God's eyes. It is how our soul, as a nation
and as individuals, is revealed. Our American government has strayed
too far from American values. It is time to move forward. The country
we carry in our hearts is waiting.

Bruce Springsteen is a writer and performer.