[FoRK] Popularity of Programming Languages

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Thu Aug 5 17:03:26 PDT 2004

On Aug 5, 2004, at 3:25 PM, Marty Halvorson wrote:

> http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/3390001
>
> I always did like C, and C++.  It's interesting that C# isn't even in
> the top ten, and it's on the way down.  What's SAS?

Not unexpected at all, _if_ you're gonna go with an interpreted
language, you go with a high level language, like PHP, Python, JScript
and friends.

.NET library, common run time, and C#? one of these things clearly does
not belong.

Java is also heading down, because PHP does web things so much better,
and Indians work so much cheaper so java is moving elsewhere.

There is also a long term trend away from languages that you need to
thing to use, toward ones that you can train someone to use that was
serving fast food the month before.

- Adam L. Beberg - beberg at mithral.com
   http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/