[FoRK] great hackers

Owen Byrne owen at permafrost.net
Thu Aug 5 19:30:21 PDT 2004

Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:

> P.S. I *still* think Java is one of the best languages I've seen.
> Although it would be highly entertaining to see an OO Algol 68.

Ok - You just volunteered as an expert (anyone else can volunteer too).
I want to just do a simple dynamic jsp page.  Take one field from one
row in an sql table and display its value on a web page - tomcat 3, 4 or
5 (I've tried them all), mysql or postgres, java 1.4.2. Tell me what
moving parts I need and a rough outline of code. (all I need is someway
to connect to a db) and where they go in the file system. (or point me
to a tutorial that actually works). The examples included with tomcat
don't seem to understand the concept of a database-backed website.

Owen