[FoRK] Popularity of Programming Languages

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Thu Aug 5 21:58:06 PDT 2004

On Aug 5, 2004, at 10:23 PM, Owen Byrne wrote:

> I used to do that - then  I started competing directly against those
> Indians you harp on. No time for painful task switching when you
> actually have to be ten times as productive as the competition - day
> in, day out. Perhaps thats all about marketing - competing on the
> lowest common denominator  - what someone I know referred to as that
> "LAMP crap" - may not have been the best idea.
> The problem is that even if you code at ten times the rate, you can't
> deal with customer requirements at ten times the rate, you can't
> install libraries/compilers/etc at ten times the rate, you can't write
> documentation at ten times the rate.   Well - maybe you can - but its
> not something the uber-hackers think about. Dealing with customers is
> the biggest time sink of all.

I don't deal with customers, or documentation, or IT either. That's
what the sales engineers, writers and IT dept are for :) In this case
tho, I am the jack of all trades, supporting 10 yr old products, and
installers for .NET, training JScript, etc. It's my job to make sure
noone _else_ has to task switch. Next weeks new thing will be automated
InstallShiled X builds with NAnt. Keeps things fun :)

> And in a large corporation - there is no uber-hacker alive that cannot
> be turned into a drone by suitably incompetent managers. Which means
> that having an uber-hacker in your corporation is really only a minor
> part of success.

As seen in the other thread, hiring uber is more harm then gain really.
They are never really "in".

- Adam L. Beberg - beberg at mithral.com
   http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/