[FoRK] great hackers

Owen Byrne owen at permafrost.net
Thu Aug 5 22:29:54 PDT 2004

Adam L Beberg wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2004, at 8:26 PM, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
>
>> Owen Byrne wrote:
>>
>>>  And here is another little kibitz. People who are incompetent
>>>  generally rate themselves as "above-average." So if the uber-hacker
>>>  exists - how would they rate themselves? I would suggest that they
>>>  would be plagued by self-doubts and probably not rate themselves high
>>>  at all.
>>

>> Well crap! I'm so full of self-doubts, I must be brilliant!!!
>

> Simple, they would rate themselves as bad, and tell you to leave them
> alone.
>
> Was it Pythagorus that told the roman soldiers to F' off and leave him
> alone with his triangles or some such thing? I forget the exact person
> and geometric shape of the story.
>
> - Adam L. Beberg - beberg at mithral.com
>   http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/

Actually I hadn't read the study in a while - and didn''t before posting
;-)  - its in there. Above average performers basically overestimate the
abilities of others - so they rate themselves less above average than
they are. But when they're shown other people's performance they rate
themselves more accurately. Basically, stupid people are mistaken about
their own abilities; smart people are mistaken about everybody else's
abilities.

Owen