C# (slightly OT) [was Re: [FoRK] Popularity of Programming Languages]

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 22:42:51 PDT 2004

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 18:29:34 -0700, Justin Mason <jm at jmason.org> wrote:

> Owen Byrne writes:
> > Interpreted languages are the way to go for the simple reason that
> > programmer time - more now than ever - is a scarce resource.
>
> Yep: the speed of development (programmer time) is more important
> now than the speed of the resulting code.

Depends on your usage, FWIW- this is true in, say, data processing,
but not so much for UIs- apple and MS have both gone to a great deal
of trouble to make sure that anything to do with a GUI is very fast,
which in some cases does rule out, say, pyGTK.

> > .NET is all about customer lock-in - and customers are staying away in
> > droves.
>
> Plus, most projects I've worked on (or talked to people who've done so)
> recently, would not do anything as stupid as lock their customers down
> to one platform if they can avoid it.  Even when Linux is discounted, an
> increasing number of the leading edge (including the people you'd have to
> sell to) are using MacOS X.  Right now it looks like MS has lost that
> race.

Apple will be shipping with C#/CLR support in the not-too-far future,
as will Novell, Gentoo, and Debian- virtually all the major distros
except red hat. Will be interesting to see what Sun does once this
happens. So... the language, by itself, is not actually a lock-in
point. C#+winforms, or C#+asp.net, probably is lockin.

Luis