C# (slightly OT) [was Re: [FoRK] Popularity of Programming Languages]

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Aug 6 07:26:02 PDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 07:12:34AM -0700, Elias Sinderson wrote:

> <Elias Sinderson> Perhaps, but within a decade processors will be an
> order of magnitude (or so) faster than they are now and the performance

Most real-world benchmarks don't show a linear semilog plot in performance
increase. Moore's law is about integration density, not how fast it runs your
code.

> issues associated with interpreted languages and UI sluggishness will

UI slugishness is largely independant of the CPU, implying that architecture
can and does matter. If people don't even make an effort, claiming CPUs are
fast enough for anything, you can assume the end result will be atrocious.
Fedora Core 2 x86_64/Gnome/X.org/Radeon 9600/2 GHz Athlon64 results in a
just plain awful user experience. Windows XP on same system has good response
time on the UI...  most of the time, that is. Background tasks make responsivity
grind to a halt. OS X (G4 iBook) is outright refreshing (albeit not perfect)
in comparison to any of the above.

> largely be moot, while the issue of programmer productivity will only
> become more important. </Elias>

I'd rather see more quality, not more productivity.