C# (slightly OT) [was Re: [FoRK] Popularity of Programming Languages]

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn at rbii.com
Fri Aug 6 09:08:43 PDT 2004

On Friday 06 August 2004 10:26, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > largely be moot, while the issue of programmer productivity will only
> > become more important. </Elias>
>
> I'd rather see more quality, not more productivity.

Amen to that. I've spent the better part of the last 2 weeks fixing other
people's bugs. So much for productivity.

This is a general architectural thing too: given a choice between hard-coding
something, and writing a data-driven, generic approach to doing the same
thing, the latter might take twice as long to do, but in most cases, you reap
the benefits of doing 1/4 of the work time and again from then on out. The
test of coding skill is not how fast you can whack it out, it's how easy it
is to maintain/change the code going forward (assuming it met the existing
requirements, the question is how little work you have to do to meet future
requirements).

Same thing goes for testing: well-designed code is easy to test, and it'll be
easy to update tests in the face of changes (though testings a discipline
that seems to have had it's importance reduced in the 90's, most people I see
now don't do nearly enough work in testing)