[FoRK] From the "oops" department

Elias Sinderson elias at cse.ucsc.edu
Sat Aug 7 11:12:44 PDT 2004

Eugen Leitl wrote:

>On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 02:01:42PM -0700, Elias Sinderson wrote:
>
>>It really depends on your investment time frame and what market you're
>>talking about. The plain and simple fact is that land is a limited
>>resource...
>>

>Let's say I can airdrop a cheap magic box anywhere, which unfolds into a solar-powered
>climatized house. It makes water and food from thin air, and provides
>immersive global connectivity via LEO wireless.

Okay, let's... So you were saying you're going to drop your magic box
where? Point being, somebody is going to own that land, however remote.
Further, both you and I know that food and water don't come from thin
air and, hate to say it, someone will own your local watershed too. Last
I heard, transportation of goods (e.g. food) was more expensive the
further it had to be transported... Hmm, maybe there's a reason people
tend to live in communities...?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for you living off the grid, getting back to
the roots and all - just let me know when you're interested in buying
the land I've acquired so you'll have somewhere to put your magic box.  ;-)

Regards,
Elias