[FoRK] From the "oops" department

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Aug 7 12:49:13 PDT 2004

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 11:12:44AM -0700, Elias Sinderson wrote:

> Okay, let's... So you were saying you're going to drop your magic box
> where? Point being, somebody is going to own that land, however remote.

Most of the land on this planet is barren, remote, and ridiculously cheap in
comparison in major urban areas. There's Nevada and Arizona, in California's
own backyard. Parts of Canada is good, too, but has less insolation.

> Further, both you and I know that food and water don't come from thin

Potable water is a side product from air conditioning. The same magic box
will run a ton of it, or so, in a closed circuit. Let's also say it generates
food. Don't forget it renders pretty good artificial reality, too (time of
flight via LEO relay is small enough so you can go places without leaving
your home bubble).

So what will happen to the real estate market then? Sure, this is at least half a
century away. Maybe even a century.

> air and, hate to say it, someone will own your local watershed too. Last
> I heard, transportation of goods (e.g. food) was more expensive the
> further it had to be transported... Hmm, maybe there's a reason people
> tend to live in communities...?

It's the infrastructure costs, commute and entertainment distance. Even in
absence of magic boxes, Internet from the skies (but not via GEO), wall-sized
displays (projectors, or video wallpaper) and cheap solar power can at least
decouple a great many number of people from metropoleis. With agrobots, and
enough precipitation/irrigation growing your own veggies is also an option.

> Don't get me wrong, I'm all for you living off the grid, getting back to
> the roots and all - just let me know when you're interested in buying
> the land I've acquired so you'll have somewhere to put your magic box.  ;-)

How many square meters does it need, you think? If square meters down here
are starting to run short, and simultaneously sending people to LEO becomes
comparable to air fare, what's going to happen?