[FoRK] Norman Mailer on November...

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) fork at ianbell.com
Sat Aug 7 13:51:41 PDT 2004

I must say Mailer (elder) expresses what I've long struggled with well.
  I believe Rumsfeld to be an honourable man working among thieves and
charlatans.  I delight in his complexity, his emotiveness, his
transparency.  I don't think it's hard to watch Rumsfeld and see when
he's toeing the party line and when he's expressing his own views, and
I believe he labours, to a greater degree than others, in lockstep with
his views and perspective on life.  In essence I trust him to be
exactly the man whom he says he is.

Bush and others, on the other hand, are the blank faces onto which the
smugness of priviledge and self-congratulation are painted, barely
concealed even in times of dire crisis, failure, and defeat.  Bush
knows he can never truly be punished for even the worst of his sins,
and has a difficult time containing his appreciation of that irony.
Worse yet he is a man who has never been forced to reckon with his own
weakness.  And that is a frightening thing.

Hermann Goering's words will be transposed on the regime of Bush, Jr.
as Adolf Hitler's were on Bush, Sr.'s "New World Order" speech.

-Ian.

-----

http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/news/rnc/9574/index.html

Father to Son: What I've Learned About Rage
A conversation between a man of legendary fury and his son preparing to
go to the barricades about the uses and abuses of Bush hatred.

By Norman Mailer & John Buffalo Mailer

Norman Mailer and son, John Buffalo Mailer.(Photo credit: Katy Grannan)

John Buffalo Mailer Let’s start with Fahrenheit 9/11. I’ve seen it
three times, and with each viewing I became more aware of Michael
Moore’s tricks. I would say about 50 percent of the film is
indisputable, particularly the portion on Iraq, but in the first half
he uses too many needless tricks.

Norman Mailer I don’t disagree. I saw it for the first time last night,
and was upset through the first half. You don’t make your case by
showing George H.W. Bush and a Saudi sheikh shaking hands. On a photo
op, important politicians will shake hands with the devil. Moore seems
to think that if you get people laughing at the right wing, you will
win through ridicule. He’s wrong. That’s when we lose. Back with the
Progressive Party in 1948, we used to laugh and laugh at how dumb the
other side was. We’re still laughing, and we’re further behind now.

On the other hand, the stuff on Iraq was powerful. There, he didn’t
need cheap shots. The real story was in the faces. All those faces on
the Bush team. What you saw was the spiritual emptiness of those
people. Bush has one of the emptiest faces in America. He looks to have
no more depth than spit on a rock. It could be that the most incisive
personal crime committed by George Bush is that he probably never said
to himself, “I don’t deserve to be president.” You just can’t trust a
man who’s never been embarrassed by himself. The vanity of George W.
stands out with every smirk. He literally cannot control that vanity.
It seeps out of every movement of his lips, it squeezes through every
tight-lipped grimace. Every grin is a study in smugsmanship.

JBM His face does bring out the rage of the left. Never before have I
seen so many people’s blood boil at the sight of an American president.
Especially in New York. Of all the cities out there, why would the
Republicans pick New York to hold their convention?

NM I would say they are hoping for ugly attacks. If I were a voice in
top Republican circles, I might be offering this advice: “What we need
for New York is a large-scale riot. Some of those activist kids will be
crazy enough to do a lot on their own, but we can do better with a few
of our guys, well-placed, ready to urinate on the good American flag.
Let us recognize that if we lose, all we’ve been doing since 2000 is
bound to come out. Back a couple of years ago, Karl Rove was saying
that we could gain a twenty-year hegemony by winning the next election.
He hasn’t said it lately, not since the worst of Iraq came through.
Because now we could be out of power for those same twenty years. So I
recommend that we put as many of our people into the protest movement
in New York as we can find.” Or so, at least, speaks the cool
Republican planner I envisage in my mind.

JBM There could be such people out there. But the Republicans may not
even need them. There are thousands of 15-, 16-, 17-year-old anarchists
who are truly angry. These kids don’t really know what anarchy is all
about, but they do know that when they throw a brick through a window,
it makes them feel good and there’s a chance they will end up on
television. This feeds into the celebrity craze that America is under
right now of “Get on TV, man! That’s when you’re really important!”
This may be the first protest where there will be as many cameras as
protesters.

NM Some of them will have footage to sell afterward. The networks and
cable companies will be looking for clips.