[FoRK] Items you own

Meltsner, Kenneth Kenneth.Meltsner at ca.com
Tue Aug 31 08:11:39 PDT 2004

Yep, it's been a long time since all of my possessions would fit in the
back of my VW Golf.

My current plan is to die before I have to move again.  Books can be
moved easily (we have them sorted by binding/size, so they're easy to
box).  Last move, about 8 years ago, took 100 boxes for books, but
that's only a four layer, 5 x 5 box stack.  Total volume was 150 cubic
feet, and weight was probably 1.5 - 2 tons.  Which sounds like a lot,
but we moved two cars and all of our household possessions in a single
moving van.  If we sold the cars, I'm sure we'd still fit in a single
trailer.

Personally, I'd prefer to get rid of the fancy china set and crystal
that my wife wanted when we got married, but I'm doomed if I ever
suggest that.  And books these days, especially SF paperbacks, tend to
self-destruct from acid paper, so I'm sure we won't leave much to our
heirs.  My old tools, on the other hand, have already lasted ~100 or
more years, so they're going to last another 40-60 without much effort.

Ken