[FoRK] Mac G4/Darwin...

Jeffrey Kay jeffrey.kay at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 08:08:35 PDT 2004

So with all of that, what's the verdict?  Is there a mail reader that
anyone really likes for the Mac?  I personally haven't had the 2GB
file limit problem (my database is 380 MB currently with about 15000
e-mail messages in it).  I'm going to upgrade to Entourage 2004 in a
couple of weeks when the upgrade pack comes out and I can let you know
what I think.  From the website, it doesn't look that much different
than v.X. I like the text handling in Entourage the best -- hopefully
they didn't screw that up in 2004.  You can send all messages out in
text mode and there are tools for dealing with Internet-style
indenting.    I think in most respects, MS did a better job with
Entourage than they did with Outlook.  Must be a Mac thing.

(BTW anyone know when the G5 PowerBooks are slated to arrive?)

-- jeff

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 00:06:14 -0700, J.Andrew Rogers
<andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2004, at 5:55 PM, Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) wrote:
> > I strongly recommend against using Entourage.  The v.X version crashed
> > fairly reliably when mailboxes got to ~2GB in size and took with it
> > its whole proprietary database, which is the only way to debabelize
> > the proprietary format it's stored in (along with your contacts,
> > calendars, and everything else).
> > Entourage works great until it doesn't, and then you're fucked.
>

> Yep, yep, and yep.
>
> I am a former Entourage user.  It was a great client until it died
> violently, apparently due to having excessively large mailboxes.
>
> It annoys me to no end that most mail clients are engineered such that
> they'll start to suck or break if your average email load is, say,
> greater than that of my parents.  I get gobs of email and always have,
> and one way or another that seems to break or render useless most email
> clients.
>
> I haven't had a problem with Evolution (yet), but that isn't my main
> mail client and so I haven't really exercised it.  Every other client
> has failed me in one way or another.
>
> j. andrew rogers

jeffrey kay
-- shinkuro <jeff!shinkuro.com>
-- aim <jkayk2>
-- weblog <k2.com>
-- pgp <www.k2.com/keys.htm>

securely share files and collaborate using shinkuro -- <www.shinkuro.com>

"first get your facts, then you can distort them at your leisure" -- mark twain
"if the person in the next lane at the stoplight rolls up the window
and locks the door, support their view of life by snarling at them" --
a biker's guide to life
"if A equals success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y plus Z. X
is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." -- albert einstein