[FoRK] The Zellinator (on Kerry)

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Thu Sep 2 10:59:01 PDT 2004

Weinberger points this out:

	http://www.hyperorg.com/blogger/mtarchive/003023.html

The Zellinator on Kerry

     My job tonight is an easy one: to present to you one of this
nation's authentic heroes, one of this party's best-known and greatest
leaders — and a good friend.

     He was once a lieutenant governor — but he didn't stay in that
office 16 years, like someone else I know. It just took two years
before the people of Massachusetts moved him into the United States
Senate in 1984.

     In his 16 years in the Senate, John Kerry has fought against
government waste and worked hard to bring some accountability to
Washington.

     Early in his Senate career in 1986, John signed on to the
Gramm-Rudman-Hollings Deficit Reduction Bill, and he fought for
balanced budgets before it was considered politically correct for
Democrats to do so.

     John has worked to strengthen our military, reform public
education, boost the economy and protect the environment. Business Week
magazine named him one of the top pro-technology legislators and made
him a member of its "Digital Dozen."

     John was re-elected in 1990 and again in 1996 - when he defeated
popular Republican Governor William Weld in the most closely watched
Senate race in the country.

     John is a graduate of Yale University and was a gunboat officer in
the Navy. He received a Silver Star, Bronze Star and three awards of
the Purple Heart for combat duty in Vietnam. He later co-founded the
Vietnam Veterans of America.

     He is married to Teresa Heinz and they have two daughters.

     As many of you know, I have great affection — some might say an
obsession — for my two Labrador retrievers, Gus and Woodrow. It turns
out John is a fellow dog lover, too, and he better be. His German
Shepherd, Kim, is about to have puppies. And I just want him to know
... Gus and Woodrow had nothing to do with that.

     Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome Senator John Kerry.

Zell Miller, introducing John Kerry, at the Democratic Party of
Georgia's Jefferson-Jackson Dinner, March 1, 2001

Posted by D. Weinberger at September 2, 2004 12:07 PM | TrackBack