[FoRK] Wired Article on Pebble Reactors in China

Bill Humphries bill at whump.com
Thu Sep 2 14:58:49 PDT 2004

On Sep 2, 2004, at 2:29 PM, Huisking, Michael wrote:

> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.09/china_pr.html
>
> What do you all think of these pebble reactors?  Do you think we will
> ever see them in the United States?

A nifty idea. When I was at EPRI in the mid to late 1990's the nuclear
engineering group was interested in them.

Unfortunately, most of EPRI's efforts in the nuclear area were spent on
re-certifying old reactors, and dealing with the daunting plumbing
problem of running them.

Maybe we could pitch pebble bed to the Iranians to see how honest
they're being about not pursuing a second Islamabomb.

-- whump