[FoRK] Veeery Intewesting...

J.Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Thu Sep 2 21:45:23 PDT 2004

On Sep 2, 2004, at 8:39 PM, Adam L Beberg wrote:
> There over 800 prison camps in the United States, all fully
> operational and ready to receive prisoners. They are all staffed and
> even surrounded by full-time guards, but they are all empty. These
> camps are to be operated by FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency)
> should Martial Law need to be implemented in the United States and all
> it would take is a presidential signature on a proclamation and the
> attorney general's signature on a warrant to which a list of names is
> attached. Ask yourself if you really want to be on Ashcroft's list.

This is mostly true, though the reality is a bit complex, and I have
some limited first-hand knowledge of this.  A real personnel
infrastructure and training program wasn't really established until the
1990s and the National Guard is the organization that has been tasked
with manning the guns.  Clinton really dumped resources into making
this viable and practical; while this was always allowed for in theory,
there were no guys with guns tasked with doing the job and given
equipment and training specifically for doing it.  It used to mostly be
wishful thinking, because even if the government wanted to do it there
was no one that really knew how and it requires a lot of manpower.

As for Ashcroft's list, it doesn't matter and other EOs should concern
geeks far more.  An EO allowing the internment and forced labor for
individuals with computer and technical skills for six months also
exists, written by Clinton as I recall.  In fact, the massive expansion
of FEMA powers, EOs, and infrastructure relating thereto *is* one of
the relatively small number of nasty things I actually pin on Clinton.

It was creepy in the 1990s, when I first became fully aware of it, and
it is creepy now.  But I don't think there is much you can do about it,
and the only good thing I can say is that using the National Guard will
put some local friendlies in the chain of command.

j. andrew rogers