[FoRK] Wired Article on Pebble Reactors in China

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Sep 3 01:43:19 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 04:08:40PM -0700, Bill Humphries wrote:

> Graphite fires in a helium atmosphere?

Nuke engineering isn't like CS. Heat exchangers are actually made from real
pipe, which breaks or leaks occasionally. What's in the second circuit, you
think?

Water vapor + hot graphite --> H2+O2 in the right proportions.
I trust you remember what caused the explosion which removed the hall roof of
the Chernobyl installation, allowing the open graphite fire, which make
several tons of fresh piping hot radioisotopes airborne, and bioavailable?

> I guess it's time to get all research-y on this.

What this planet needs is rolls of polymer solar cell film for 1$/m^2 special
on WalMart.