[FoRK] [Fwd: WinFS' Spot on Back Burner Nothing New]

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Sep 9 01:27:36 PDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 07:03:18PM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:

> yep.  TBH I was expecting this to happen this time around anyway ;) I'm
> not convinced that the filesystem should be, or wins by being, a database
> at all.  Now, having said that, Reiserfs' efficiency for small metadata
> "forks" seems cool though.

CPU load is considerably higher, though. No good FS for CPU-intensive tasks.
It's probably a good idea to move a CPU into hard drives anyway -- though it
will need a different interconnect -- especially given that future storage is
solid-state and hence low-latency.

What good are file systems for MRAM-based solid-state machines anyway? OO/GC
is good enough for that.