[FoRK] Salon on Bushs' (lack of) Service

Chris Olds colds at dydax.com
Thu Sep 9 01:36:37 PDT 2004

Even as an avowed opponent of the current occupant of the White House, I
wonder how you can give such credence to readily (and repeatedly) refuted
propaganda as the swift boat BS and give W a pass on what looks to me
(coming from a family with essentially no military record since the Civil
War) as desertion.  Why are a collection of lies about Kerry's service so
much more powerful than the truth about W?

This is a serious question - I really don't understand, and (since there
is a chance I'll have to live in a country governed by people that agree
with you) I really want to know the answer.  One of the guys I work with,
an Annapolis grad, thinks that W was (and is) guilty of desertion (a
position that makes sense to me). Even if one does not agree with that
position, the evidence that the whole 'swift boat' controversy is bogus
(and that Kerry really earned his medals) is easily verified from public
records.  Why does the false story carry so much more weight than the one
that has not been refuted?

Enquiring minds, and all that...

	/cco