[FoRK] Salon on Bushs' (lack of) Service

Bill Humphries bill at whump.com
Thu Sep 9 08:31:14 PDT 2004

On Sep 8, 2004, at 11:19 PM, Elias Sinderson wrote:

> Stung is right... Just one more reason why I like Salon. Big question
> - will other media outlets pick this up? Will it matter whether they
> do or not?

I'm wondering if it matters to voters.

Bush's story is that of the out of control youth who turned to Jesus.
And that's a popular story with a lot of voters.

Putting on the George Lackof hat for a moment: the Conservatives have
managed to sell America on the story that from the middle of the 1960's
we became wicked and sinful and should be glad there are stern grownups
willing to slap us upside the head (or is that pour hot pepper sauce on
our tongues) and remind us not to question the situation of our
betters.

Bush is the spendthrift son redeemed as the stern, protecting father.

-- whump