[FoRK] Salon on Bushs' (lack of) Service

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Sep 9 11:20:55 PDT 2004

Isn't he still a spendy frat boy who can't choose his words reliably?
He seems to me to be the kind of father you grow up protecting rather
than feeling protected by.

The fact that he makes so many hugely inappropriate mistakes speaking
means that he has a very weak internal sensor and likely a shallow, weak
understanding.  He doesn't just say the wrong thing, from accounts I've
seen, he generally doesn't even realize that he's screwed up.

His handlers must be terrified every time he speaks, no matter how much
coaching he's had.

There are certainly those blindly religious folk who, by nature, ignore
reality and just have faith.  They are a lost cause; you can only hope
that their children tend toward a little intellectualism.

In the US, we have had a surge in religiousness, and official political
kow-towing and lovefest to religious groups, that has been pushing for
theocracy.  There is a ragtag opposite group that falls, more or less,
into the rational humanism secular group.  Many in this group are
religious and represent organized religions, but are not the rabid
anti-intellectualism type.  It seems to me that the trend toward
shallow, lazy, mean, and undereducated youth feeds directly into the
former.  In contrast, the educated, successful, self-reliant,
intelligent individuals feed into the latter.  It seems that we've been
swaying toward the former for a while and either based on better memes
or general improvement in education, work ethic, and the state of
society, the latter will win only with the right successes.

When people are struggling to meet basic needs, faith is a common coping
mechanism, but it seems, paradoxically, that when people don't need
anything and society doesn't really need anything from them, they also
gravitate toward faith as a purpose.

 From an engineering point of view, faith is a wasteful, substandard
solution to stability.  There are better psychological solutions that
more efficiently and reliably improve the ability to reverse entropy.
(Reversing entropy being the "meaning of life": procreate, create,
change the world for the better, produce more than you consume (in some
sense), innovate, or support those who do or might.)

sdw