[FoRK] NYTimes.com Article: For BlackBerry Users, a New Way to Write

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Sep 9 11:44:00 PDT 2004

Existing phones have done pretty much the same algorithm for spelling
words.  I now have a Motorola Timeport 280 that I picked up on eBay for
Europe that has a method that matches the spelling/choice description.

I've had the original RIM 850, the Treo 300, and my current Treo 600.
They all type pretty much the same.  The 600 is just slightly slower
than the 300 or the 850, but is far more compact.

The 600 needs a service for email that works a bit more asynchronously.
I use web->imap which works great, but it would be great to get pushes
using something other than SMS.  The difference in cost is a fair issue,
IF this phone is really a 4-band GSM phone with Blackberry without
subsidy from T-Mobile.  If they don't have an unlocked version, then it
isn't.  The 600 is as little as $350 after subsidy.  Bluetooth is nice,
but it doesn't sound like the resolution is higher than the 600.

It will be interesting to see if they can beat Blazer, the Treo/Palm
browser which already does HTML 4.0 with frames, Javascript, cookies,
images, etc. and handles nearly any size web page.  You can even view
Word, Excel, or PDF attachments with the right add-on software or
download files to memory or mmc/sd cards.

I can't wait for the next couple year's devices like the new phone with
a 1" 1.5GB harddrive.

sdw