[FoRK] Its almost programmer's time

Meltsner, Kenneth Kenneth.Meltsner at ca.com
Fri Sep 10 09:01:06 PDT 2004

MacGyver?  A brilliant engineer/super agent?  Banacek, which wrapped
improbable thefts with romance and humor?

To be honest, as much as I enjoy the supernerd exploits of Marshall
(Alias), Jake (Jake 2.0 -- go Dr. Thora!) or Broots (Pretender), I can't
imagine making an entire show around them without the usual leavening of
romance and manufactured suspense.  Of course, if you've ever watched
lawyers work, you wouldn't believe that you could construct multiple
series about them, but amazingly, people have.

The trick, I guess, is to show the actual work as infrequently as
possible, and to concentrate on zany high jinks, romantic triangles,
conspicuous consumption, etc.  Given this, you probably want really rich
engineers or programmers.

If real work isn't sufficiently dangerous or life-threatening to hold
viewer interest (as it would be for cops, emergency department doctors,
or spies), you need characters to act stupid enough to get killed or to
work with dangerously unbalanced clients if you want to maintain
suspense, especially since engineering and programming is about as
interesting as watching a doctor fill out HMO paperwork, or a lawyer
research precedents on LEXIS.

Ken