[FoRK] Re: Geopolitical Darwin Awards (fwd from jya@pipeline.com)

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 20 05:36:05 PDT 2004

Eugen Leitl:
>Today, even the US uses children in war, 17
>being the minimum age to enlist. ...

While I understood and appreciated the major
thrust of Eugen's comments, I'm puzzled at
the notion that 17 counts as a child.

Adolescent, yes. Not yet old enough to vote,
or to drink alcohol that doesn't come from
their parents' table. But in our society -- or
at least here in Texas -- someone 17 is old
enough to work, to drive a car, and to make
their own decisions about whether to attend
school and to have sex. Maybe not yet a
full-fledged adult. But certainly no longer a
child.

Personally, I would lower the age of
majority to 16. Maybe 15. Drinking and
voting, too. On the other hand, I'd make
it tougher to get a driver's license. I'm not
sure how. Is there a way to test for
intemperate behavior?