[FoRK] Interview With BBC Dirac Developer Thomas Davis (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Sep 20 22:52:42 PDT 2004

----- Forwarded message from brian-slashdotnews at hyperreal.org -----

From: brian-slashdotnews at hyperreal.org
Date: 21 Sep 2004 04:26:02 -0000
To: slashdotnews at hyperreal.org
Subject: Interview With BBC Dirac Developer Thomas Davis

Link: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/20/2339234
Posted by: timothy, on 2004-09-21 01:40:00

   from the making-pictures-move dept.
   [1]arclightfire writes "The subject of the BBC video codec Dirac has
   been [2]here before, but we've managed to get an [3]interview with
   Thomas Davies, Senior R&D Engineer at the BBC who devised the Dirac
   algorithm. Interesting to note that the codec should be with Mplayer
   soon; "As far as players go, we'll be submitting a patch to Mplayer to
   allow it to play Dirac pretty soon." And info about the tech
   developments in Dirac; "I used tried and techniques, like wavelets,
   which weren't in standards at the time, and tried to develop them. And
   that's what we'll continue to do as the algorithm develops. So we've
   tried to build on some pretty well-understood technology, and also
   tried to do some new things with it. We're patenting the new stuff,
   quite a bit of which hasn't got into the software yet. The license
   means that these patents are licensed for free within the Dirac
   software.""

   IFRAME: [4]pos6